Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Detour - Talia Carmichael I got pulled out of the story right at the beginning, when descriptions of Robert, his TA/RA, the dept, and the mentor made me go huh? While I realize different departments and different schools do things very differently, there were so many oddities within the first few pages, I sat there for a few minutes trying to make sense of it all. When I couldn't, I shrugged and decided I'd just have to work that much harder to suspend my disbelief.But then I got annoyed by Miguel's little game to let Robert figure it out. And then Robert's repeated "He's straight!" got to me. Couldn't he ask? Also, they spent that much time together and there was nothing that made him pause and reconsider? Dude's supposed to be a scientist. Even if he's a socially-clueless genius, as a scientist it should be second-nature for him to evaluate evidence and reconsider his hypotheses as he gets more data.That's when I stopped reading. I never even made it to the sex scene I heard good things about. I just got too annoyed by Robert's obtuseness, even with Miguel freakin' telling him he's gay. How the frack did he manage to get a PhD in science with that extreme inability to see the facts even when they're stated plainly? Had it been a paper book, I probably would have thrown it across the room at that point. Grrrr.