Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Stolen Summer - S.A. Meade Brilliantly done, I loved how the snippets in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Jordan gave a real sense of place and action, moving the story along without unnecessary minutiae. The journalist-covering-the-war angle was new for me, and I'd love to read more of that perspective.I thought the out-for-you elements were excellent. Enough hints of past history for both Evan and the reader to be able to see this didn’t come out of nowhere. And I thought it was unusually realistic the way Evan acknowledged it while simultaneously admitting to himself that he didn’t really want to think about it or have to deal with it, and then being with Colin again and seeing how perfect it was. The parents were similarly well-portrayed as having initial difficulty but then welcoming into the family the person who can make their son so happy.The balance of angst and romance was great, too. I really felt for both Evan and Colin, could really understand where they were each coming from, and the tension and conflict were inevitable based on who they are. The resolution was similarly appropriate. I really look forward to reading more from this author, though I do hope subsequent book blurbs don’t tell quite as much of the story.