Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Discreet Young Gentleman - M. J. Pearson This was maybe a 4.5, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and round up to 5.I found it almost literally impossible to set down after the first chapter or so and stayed up way too late to finish it. It took me a chapter or so to get into it, but once I did...wow! Like shifters, historicals aren't something I read much of because they often don't work for me, but I love it when they do. This one did. A lot.I loved the characters and how well-suited they were for each other. I loved the development of their feelings over time as they shared adventures. I think one of the best tests of a person (and a relationship) is how they handle it when things go badly, especially when traveling. So for things to go horribly awry and for them to be able to laugh together, that really helped me to believe in them as a couple who would succeed with HEA once they got themselves sorted out.I felt the ups and downs of the developing relationship with them. There were times my stomach was in knots as a future together seemed impossible for them, and other times I grinned broadly or laughed out loud, enjoying their enjoyment of each other.And there was a minor twist at the end, involving one of the secondary characters, that had me pondering for quite a while after I finally turned the light out and should have been sleeping. It was fun to think back and try to figure out what clues I'd missed, and also I think I just wasn't ready to let go of the book or characters yet. I'm still not.I loved the end, and could see why it ended where it did, but it also left me desperately wanting more. I would love a sequel, and I'd imagine there could be quite a story in how they set up their lives together. In a way, it felt like the book ended at the beginning. Most romances do, of course, ending when the characters commit to each other, when the real story is usually in how two (or more) people make their daily lives work together. But somehow I felt more aware of the 'beginingness' of this couple at the end of the story than usual. Unlike many books, I knew I'd reached the last page even before looking at page numbers, because it had a clear sense of culmination. And yet...I futilely tried turning to the next page anyway, wanting to see what comes next.ETA: I've read a few reviews that talked about how it lacked historical accuracy/authenticity. I'm not a historian and don't read many historicals, so as long as a writer spins a good tale I'm unlikely to be bothered by (or even notice) a few anachronisms. If the errors are so egregious that I notice them and they pull me out of the story, chances are the author has done no research and the book probably shouldn't have been published.