Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Into the Light - Scarlet Blackwell I tried to read Just Desserts and then this one, thinking I might appreciate the angsty story more if I first enjoyed the sweet one (yes, sorry, pun intended). I mean no disrespect to the author or her fans, as everyone has different tastes (thank goodness!) but clearly her books just don’t work for me.I gave some real thought to why all four books I tried turned out to be DNFs, and perhaps the conclusion I reached might help explain the underlying difficulties with this book. Her characters struck me as over-the-top caricatures, not quite far enough for satire but too far to take seriously. And despite these being sold as romances, it was never clear to me why any of the couples were together beyond intense physical attraction.On Marie Sexton’s blog, she says that One More Soldier was originally written by Ethan Stone. While it never quite worked for him, she was inspired, and after much discussion he gave her his blessing to make it her own. She went on to change it a lot; as I understand it mostly just the seed of the original story remained. I mention this because it shows how something that might not quite work for one author can be brilliant in the hands of another. Not that one author is better or worse than another (I love both Marie Sexton and Ethan Stone), but that it’s about having the right pairing of author and story.I could see Into the Light being a wonderfully intense, beautiful, and cathartic story in the hands of someone like Amy Lane, ZA Maxfield, or KA Mitchell. With nuanced and realistic characters we’d be sympathetic rather than disgusted and/or contemptuous. If we saw on-page what they loved and found appealing about each other, a HEA would be believable and desirable. As has already been said several times, something this charged needs to be handled carefully; maybe Scarlet Blackwell just wasn’t quite the right author for this particular story.