Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Keeping Promise Rock - Amy Lane I wrote this review when I first read the book back in June 2010, but apparently hadn't posted it here. Oops! Considering this is one of my most favorite m/m books EVER, that's quite an oversight. The book has held up to multiple re-readings, and is one of a few books whose characters I find myself thinking about at odd times, wondering how they're doing, like old friends I haven't seen in a while.Here's my original review:I read this book in two gulps: staying up way too late, until I literally couldn't keep my eyes open a moment longer, and then finishing it first thing the next morning. As others have said, the characters (even most of the secondary ones) are fully developed and fully real. They were real people with real strengths and weaknesses, who lived with the effects of their decisions and actions based on those strengths and weaknesses. While the romance was wonderful, this book was so much more than that; it had all the fullness of real life.Even when things started to seem almost over-the-top with Deacon (or should we call him 'Job'?), his response kept it grounded in reality. It may not often happen that life keeps throwing more and more and more at you, to where you think you can't possible take one more thing (and then you do), but it does happen. Deacon's reactions were entirely in line with who he was, so it was believable and made believable other things that followed which might otherwise have seemed a bit fairytaleish.I think I caught an editing error or two, but so few and far between that it's difficult to recall and definitely didn't detract from the story. That is - unfortunately! - extremely rare in m/m books, especially for someone raised by my mother (a writer and English teacher, who would correct me as I told her about my day: "Mommy, me and so-and-so..." "No, so-and-so and you.").I cried a lot while reading this book, but I also laughed a lot (sometimes simultaneously). I didn't just LOL, I guffawed - loudly and uncontrollably enough a few times to be nervous I was disturbing the neighbors, considering the late hour. This was a complete story unto itself, with a satisfying ending, but I am eagerly awaiting the next book. I can't wait to spend more time with these people. If I could give this book more than five stars, I so would.