Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Behind Iron Lace - Mercy Celeste I keep finding myself conflicted when it comes to books by this author! I find her style engaging and engrossing, so much so that my emotional reaction is to love her books. But they don't stand up to any sort of rational scrutiny, and that disappoints me.I got really confused by mentions of Darcy being offered an "associate professorship" at what I thought was a university. For one thing, he only has a Master's degree, and tenure-track positions at universities are generally only offered to PhD's. Also, they usually offer the lowest ranking position first - Assistant Professor - and then promote you to Associate Professor eventually. If it were a community college, the ranking is still the same but offering it to someone with a Master's would be plausible. Except further descriptions of the daily reality of the school (Homecoming week? Daily classes? Letting a department secretary know you're leaving early?) sounded like high school instead. So basically every mention of the school pulled me out of the story as I tried to understand the logistics.I was also disturbed by how OTT evil a couple of the characters were. Darcy has been in a relationship of one sort or another with Bailey for ten years, and she suddenly turns out to be Evil Bitch from Hell? Not that people are never surprised or disillusioned by those they love, but ten years of daily contact seems a long time to go without even a hint of her less-than-wonderfulness. Either that, or Darcy is disturbingly obtuse.I also REALLY struggled with the insta-love aspect. But then, that almost never works well for me. I believe you can be ass over teakettle in LUST for someone after a few weeks, days, or even hours. But unless the author is really, really, really convincing, I just don't believe Twu Wuv occurs within that time-frame.There were a few other things that bothered me, but they were mostly things I could have overlooked for the sake of engaging characters and engrossing story. The ones I mentioned were too big and too prevalent, and so kept me from getting lost in the story the way I wanted to.