Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Twin Flames (Sumeria's Sons) - Lexi Ander This is a great start to an intriguing new series, though I picked this book up a few times before I finally read it. I kept getting intimidated by the glossary at the beginning, as it made me feel the need to learn who all these characters with unfamiliar names were. As it turned out, and as is my usual experience, enough information was provided in context for me to figure out what I needed to. So to anyone who may be put off by the cover or the up-front glossary, I say ignore it and dive into the story; it's worth it.I loved Tristan, and quickly came to appreciate Ushna as well. There was lots of intrigue, and things developing in strange and unexpected ways. For all that he was a Lycan who took for granted things that seem impossible to us, I loved how "human" and relatable Tristan was. He was also a classic unreliable narrator, but in such a way that I think the reader could tell pretty easily where his views were warped or mistaken. So it's not nearly the surprise to the reader that it is to him that Ushna is attracted to him, and not just because it's a romance novel.What I didn't love were all the tense issues. I don't blame the author, as I understand how those happen while writing. But an editor (or beta reader) really, really should have caught them. They kept distracting me and pulling me out of the story as I tried to figure out when something happened. It was a good enough story to be worth the effort, but all the more frustrating because it was so good and there's really no reason those shouldn't have been caught.I'm very glad that I won both the first and second books, so I can dive into the next right away. Though I'm already anticipating that the wait for the third will be too long, no matter how quickly it comes out. I'm looking forward to seeing the development of Tristan and Ushna's relationship, and I'm also really hoping future books will bring the stories of some of the secondary characters.