Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Alaska Hunt - Shelter Somerset I wanted to read this thanks to a great review by Sirius on Jessewave, especially since our tastes are usually pretty similar.Unfortunately, this one didn't really work for me, and I rated it 2.5 stars. The writing style made it difficult for me to get engrossed in the story, as I kept being pulled out by odd word choices, or in some cases what seemed to be opposite meanings of what made sense. For example: He held the phone, an object reeking with disgust, away from his face. What does that mean? Is he disgusted with the phone? Is an inanimate object somehow feeling disgust? Is the phone suddenly reeking with a foul smell that disgusts him? Something else entirely? When I came across things like that, I'd sit there pondering them for a while, trying to make sense of it before continuing with the story. It was distracting. :(It would have been a DNF fairly early on, but I was curious about the mystery so I skimmed through the rest. I figured the mystery out early enough to think Zane was awfully obtuse, but still found it kind of interesting. I don't think I ever really liked any of the characters, and I'm not sure how much I believed in most of the relationships. But I enjoyed the mystery and the virtual visit to Alaska, so it didn't feel like a total loss.