Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Lorcan's Desire - SJD Peterson New Update: Weeks after reading this book, I read an m/f romance in which the heroine had an evil brother named Lorcan. It was pretty obvious he would be dead by the end of the book. And, in real credit to the strength of SJD Peterson's writing and characterization, I was thrilled at the thought of finally getting to see Lorcan die. *evil cackle* And I didn't even hate him nearly as much as Quinn! I am always impressed with any book that has characters memorable enough for me to think about them later, out of context. So, while this book was not for me, I have to mention that.Update: Since I was told I needed to finish this to understand the second, and the second is worth reading, I decided to skim through to the end of this one.I had stopped just before meeting Jess. It did improve a bit then, but not by much. I disliked him less than the others, but found him too obnoxiously pushy to actually like him. And "big guy" and "pretty boy" were used way too much after that. I found the triangle situation believable, especially considering what inconsiderate, immature assholes all three characters were. But I suspect I wasn't supposed to be thinking "Ha! Take that asshole! Neener neener!" when each of the characters experienced emotional pain due to the triangle. Unfortunately, it seems the greatest joy to be found in this book is schadenfreude.I hope they all grow the hell up and get over their precious little selves in the next book.*****I really wanted to like this book. I'd been talking books with a friend, and she so wanted me to read it she bought it for me in the middle of the conversation. So I stuck with it waaaay longer than I would have otherwise. I disliked the characters. I disbelieved the plot. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes and muttering things like, "Yeah, right".As one example, I saw no basis for the intensity of emotion (they called it "love") Lorcan and Quinn seemed to feel for each other so suddenly, on so little acquaintance. They barely spend any time together, they agree on mutual lust and start boinking, and suddenly they can't live without each other, would die for each other, etc. Yeah, right. My ereader does page numbers rather than percentages, and they don't match what's on the computer, so it gets confusing calculating exact percentages. But I figure Chapter Twelve has to be 50+% of a 21-chapter plue epilogue book. So that's a fighting chance if ever there was one, right?