Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %
Strength of the Pack - Kendall McKenna I made the mistake of starting this before bed, not really expecting to get into it. Wow, was that a mistake! I got instantly engrossed and couldn't go to sleep until I'd finished it, despite not usually being a big fan of shifter books. Also despite frequently being startled by some odd word usages that pulled me briefly out of the story to ponder what better word might have been used there. And even with a military background, I found some of the acronyms and militaryisms took me a second to figure out; a little more explanation would have been nice.I also got annoyed by how clueless Lucas was about... oh, hell, I could just stop right there. Clueless Lucas was clueless. But what especially annoyed me was how clueless he was about what was really going on between him and Noah. Yeah, it made sense that an honorable man would be concerned about taking advantage of his rank. It's just that I thought Noah (and others) made it pretty clear how powerful Noah was and what a big deal it was for him to voluntarily submit to Lucas, and thus how that mitigated the usual concerns about rank. But still Lucas didn't get it, and I started wanting to hit him with a clue-stick.I got a little annoyed with Noah for not explaining more, too. I realize there's not a lot of time for talking in the middle of a war zone, but for something as important as that, seems like you might manage to make a little time before falling asleep after a hand job. Or something. Lack of communication, much as it's one of my pet peeves, actually made sense in this situation. But only so far.Despite all that, I loved this book and could only - barely - bring myself to put it down for bathroom breaks from the moment I started until I reached the last page. I even woke up thinking about it, eager to read the next in the series. It's very rare, particularly lately, for me to get so into a book.