Jess

Jess

Coming over from Goodreads, dipping a toe in the waters over here.

Fish & Chips
Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
Progress: 26 %

Once a Marine

Once a Marine - Cat Grant I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it quite lived up to the (exceedingly high) standard I'm under the impression Riptide intends to meet. I cringed at the use of baby oil as lube with condoms and was surprised the characters didn't know better. And there was one Saturday night outing that suddenly became Friday (or maybe it was always Friday night and was mistakenly referred to as 'Saturday' first?).It's incredibly nit-picky of me, but I don't think there is any such thing as Southbound 580. I know 680 (also technically an East-West freeway) is sometimes marked as North-South. But I've only ever seen 580 marked as East-West. I grew up in Berkeley, so I've had plenty of opportunities to see the signs at each of the on/off ramps one would take when heading to the Bay Bridge. Maybe there's one, somewhere, and I've just never noticed it?I'm being obnoxiously nitpicky, I know. I'm sure at least part of it has to do with the fact that I never really warmed up that much to Marc. He seemed a decent guy, but not so much so that I was particularly rooting for him to have a HEA (beyond, y'know, just wishing happiness for all people everywhere, fictional or otherwise). It's just that I've enjoyed other stories by Cat Grant more. So between having generally found her books to be 3.5-4.5 stars and having heard such great things about the high standard of editing at Riptide, I guess my expectations were just set too high.